Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Surfacing

It's hard to believe that life is moving along quickly and six months have passed since David and I were married. Married life is treating us well, most people say. That is the most common question we field on a regular basis. "How's married life? Looks like it's ...." as I already stated.
The second most common question that seems to arise would be, "Is Allison pregnant?" I don't know how other people get away with looking tired and do not have the same conversation. Well, the current answer is "NO" I am not pregnant. We do hope God blesses us with a child, or several, but in His way and His timing. Until then, I don't plan on looking fat or tired unless that is exactly what I am. You can figure that out I think. :o)
You have probably wondered when we would come out of hiding and look around for other signs of life. Simply put, I'm waiting until Spring to come out of hibernation. It has been a very cold winter in Denver, Colorado and we've enjoyed the use of our fireplace quite a bit. I'm fond of the old-fashioned methods of heating your home. It's so aromatic and creates quite the atmosphere. A few days of uncommonly warm
weather in the last two months has awakened the sleeping DeJongs and given us the urge to be biking. Attached is the picture David took of me standing next to the very dirty bike we purchased from a local bike store. The reason my bike is covered in mud would have nothing to do with my riding the bike. It has EVERYTHING to do with my husband's love for off-road, mountain biking, near-death experiences. Even he admitted that it was a little hairy of a path for my bike tire tread. That's alright. I don't mind David having adventures; I just don't join him on all of them yet.

On the days when life outdoors does not beckon to us, David splits his (often) 16 hour days between two part-time jobs. You may be familiar with the position Cadence International gave David at Headquarters to allow him a position in Colorado during his first year of marriage. His other part time job has been working as a life guard for the City of Lakewood. Praise God they just promoted David to MOD (manager on duty) and we will see how his work schedule changes.
I spend a lot of time working from home, or working on things at home. Sometimes it is hard to differentiate between the two if I am preparing a Bible lesson and doing a load of laundry at the same time. I have to be careful to balance equal time for each "job". For those who don't know, I work for my church, Creekside Bible Church in Castle Rock, as the administrator for the Children's Ministries. I have been very grateful to be able to do a lot of work on my computer from home. It has proven especially beneficial to reduce some of our gas expenditures (David commutes quite a lot as well) and to prevent me from driving 45 mins each way during bad weather.  Somehow that didn't keep me home during today's snowstorm. Ah, spring snows.... I've driven an SUV full of teenagers home from the youth retreats in snowstorms so many times that I really couldn't convince myself that it would be safer to stay home today.   shrug


David and I keep really busy between jobs, caring for our two bedroom apartment, and visiting with family, friends, and neighbors. We both serve as mentors and adult chaperones for the high school youth ministry at our church. We also serve with the T & T age group in our church AWANA Clubs program. This month David is leading his group of high school guys in serving the church custodian. Every Sunday afternoon in March, this group of juniors and seniors has been accomplishing special cleaning projects around the church building during the time between the worship service and the AWANA ministry.

I have been developing relationships with two of the women who live in our apartment complex. We shared Christmas presents, had meals together, and may even plan a community event for the complex. We have enjoyed getting to know our neighbors better. God answered a prayer that David and I began praying during our pre-marital counseling that we would have the opportunity to meet an express need for each of our neighbors. Perhaps the most common need we each have is the need for relationships. Please pray that the gospel would be so evident in our lives that we can clearly share this good news with our neighbors.


No comments:

Post a Comment